The material on this website is for information only and is not intended as any recommendation or endorsement of any products or companies mentioned. We are not licensed by the FSA to give financial advice, and none of the material on this website ...
The IndependentThe truth about housing wealth is that most of us didn't earn itThe IndependentOne statistic in a new Resolution Foundation report on UK wealth estimates that around 80 per cent of net property wealth growth since the early 1990s has been a consequence of rising housing market, rather than active saving decisions by households.
Property CommunitySometimes it's best to sit back and do nothingProperty CommunityOver the last 12 months there have been some monumental changes in the UK political arena with many more expected in the short to medium term. The UK economy has held up fairly well during these difficult times as has the UK property market. There may ...and more »
Telegraph.co.ukWoman forced to squat in her own Barcelona flat after 'fake tenant' lists property on AirbnbTelegraph.co.ukA Barcelona woman has become a squatter in her own home after finding out that her tenant was using the tourism rental website Airbnb to illegally sublet the flat in the city's fashionable Barceloneta area. Montse Pérez saw the ad for her bijou ...
AOL UKAdults returning to 'Bank of Mum and Dad' to help them ascend ...The IndependentA third of home buyers moving to their second home expect to go cap in hand to those around them to borrow more than £21200, despite half of those having ...People taking second step on property ladder 'still rely on bank of ...AOL UKall 2 news articles »
AOL UKAdults returning to 'Bank of Mum and Dad' to help them ascend second step on property ladderThe IndependentIn that time the average UK property price has risen by more than 40 per cent, the equivalent of £60,000. In hotspots like Cambridge, prices have doubled in that time and in the capital, the average property has broken through the £500,000 barrier ...People taking second step on property ladder 'still rely on bank of mum and dad'AOL UKall 2 news articles »
Have you met...
Latest Members:









My brother and I inherited our mother's house 10 years ago

For the first 5 years he lived there rent free and for the last 5 we have been letting it. I feel it is time to sell and go our separate ways financially and he wants to keep hold of it forever unless I buy him out which I cannot afford to do. My first question is, is it possible to sell a jointly owned property if one party does not want to?

The other issue I have is that I would like to live there for a while in order to avoid a large capital gains tax bill and feel that as he had some time there it is not unreasonable that I do too. This would obviously leave him without that income and as I received a large tax bill in respect of the rental income from the property, which I have paid, I know that he will get one too, however my brother received a letter from HMRC last year which he has not opened. If it turns out that he owes alot of money which he cannot pay can they force a sale as it is his only asset?

If you know the answers to these questions I'd be very grateful for your advice, if not do you know where I can find out?

Thank you.

Kind regards,


Check with a solicitor- but ideally don't get in to legal wrangles. I think Both parties would need to agree to sell. on the other issue, you cannot hide for HMRC and you could be worrying about nothing, so open the letter and deal with whatever it says. I don't think they could force the sale of a jointly owned property- but check with your solicitor. M


Read more questions ...
Advertise with us  |  Privacy  |  Terms & Copyright                                                                                     Website maintained by USP Networks