r, Gut focused on avoiding mistakes. "The last y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Join Property Expert Forum Index -> mortgages and property finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lw789

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: r, Gut focused on avoiding mistakes. "The last y Reply with quote

CALGARY -- Basketball players swept the Canadian university sport awards in keeping with the buzz the sport is creating in Canada. Justine Colley of Saint Marys University and Carletons Philip Scrubb were named the BLG Award winners Monday as the top female and male athletes respectively in Canadian Interuniversity Sport. With the Toronto Raptors in the NBA playoffs for the first time since 2008 and Torontos Andrew Wiggins touted as a possible first overall pick in the NBA draft, Colley and Scrubb hope the momentum continues for hoops in Canada. "Theres a lot of excitement over basketball, which is pretty exciting since were a pretty hockey dominant country," Colley said. "I hope more people get out to games, support all the different teams across Canada, obviously support the Raptors and hopefully they make it all the way to the final. "Its amazing to see basketball starting to flourish in Canada." Colley and Scrubb were just the second basketball players to sweep the BLG Awards in its 22-year history. Windsors Jessica Clemencon and Carletons Tyson Hinz -- a Ravens teammate of Scrubbs for the past four seasons -- were the 2011 winners. "You see all the athletes down in the States playing in the NCAA tournament and the Raptors have finally made the playoffs and the CIS is really improving in terms of basketball as well, so I think people are starting to care a little bit more about basketball and theyre recognizing our talent up here," said Scrubb. Colley and Scrubb each received a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship. They were chosen by the Canadian Athletic Foundation, which administers the awards, from a group of eight finalists. Each nominee received a gold ring and a watch. Colley from East Preston, N.S., took home the Jim Thompson Trophy that goes to the top female athlete and became the first athlete from Saint Marys to win a BLG award. "Huge honour for not only myself, but also my university," the 22-year-old guard said. "Tons of support goes into Saint Marys athletics and not just Saint Marys, but throughout the whole Atlantic area." Other finalists for the Jim Thompson trophy were McGill hockey player Katia Clement-Heydra, York sprinter Khamica Bingham and University of British Columbia volleyball player Lisa Barclay. Scrubb, from Richmond, B.C., claimed the male athletes Doug Mitchell Trophy ahead of nominees Liam Heelis, a hockey player from Acadia, Bishops football player Jordan Heather and University of Saskatchewan hockey player Derek Hulak. Scrubb follows Hinz and Osvaldo Jeanty (2006) as BLG Award winners from Carleton. The Ravens captured their fourth straight CIS mens basketball title this year. "Coming in, I was young and didnt really know what was going on, but Ive learned from past teammates to be more unselfish and try and give back because theyve all done so much for me at Carleton," Scrubb said. "Overall, I think Ive improved as a person and obviously basketball has helped has well." Colley capped her fifth and final season as the all-time leading scorer in CIS womens basketball with 2,376 points. She scored 38 points in a semifinal win over Saskatchewan in the CIS championship en route to a silver medal for the Huskies. Colley also earned her second straight CIS female player-of-the-year award averaging 20.8 points per game. She was a finalist for the Jim Thompson trophy last year. "Her impact on our team and a basketball game go far beyond stats," Huskies coach Scott Munro said in a statement. "She is simply one of the best leaders I have ever been around. Her desire to compete and win separates her from any other student-athlete I have coached." Colley played last summer for the national womens team that qualified for the world championship Sept 27 to October 5 in Turkey. She wants to wear the Maple Leaf again at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil. "Olympics are on every athletes radar," she said. "Next year, we would have to qualify for the Olympics on the national team and from there go on and play in Rio. Obviously I would love to be a part of that group." Scrubb, a fourth-year commerce student, led the Ravens in points with (18.6) and assists (4.9) per game as the Carleton went 33-1 versus CIS opponents. The six-foot-three guard was named the most valuable player in CIS mens basketball for the third time. When Carleton downed archrival Ottawa in the CIS final, the Ravens avenged their only loss of the season, which was to Ottawa in the OUA final. Scrubb, 21, intends to return to Carleton and win another national title with the Ravens. He was the only university player invited to the national mens team camp last summer. "His ability speaks for itself in his success," Carleton head coach Dave Smart said. "He is a humble and selfless individual regarding the team. He is an extremely good student, balancing his dedication to the team and sport with his academics." CFL football player and Olympic bobsledder Jesse Lumsden, Olympic womens hockey team goaltender Kim St. Pierre, Olympic heptathlete Jessica Zelinka and Olympic swimmer Curtis Myden are among previous recipients of the awards, which are sponsored by the law firm Borden Ladner Gervais. The Canadian Athletic Foundation that chooses the winners is a board of 21 business people from five Canadian cities. Doug Mitchell is chairman of that board. Student-athletes must compete in CIS sport a minimum of two years to be eligible and cant be a previous recipient of a BLG Award. Antonio Garcia Youth Jersey . Leaning forward with both hands on his knees, Buffon appeared to be resting or somehow trying to withstand the rain. Or perhaps the 36-year-old goalkeeper and Italy captain was reflecting on this: He is only the third player in history to be part of five World Cup squads, along with Germany great Lothar Matthaus and former Mexico goalkeeper Antonio Carbajal. Antonio Garcia Jersey .com) - No Sidney Crosby, no problem. http://www.authoritypatriotsshop.com/deatrich-wise-jr-patriots-jersey-c-75/. Brazilian striker Brandao opened the scoring with a header in the 55th minute before winger Franck Tabanou volleyed home from close range to double the lead in the 61st. Derek Rivers Youth Jersey . Pillar is batting .305 with 17 extra-base hits, 19 RBI and five stolen bases in 34 games for Buffalo this season. The right-handed hitter had an International League high, 18-game hitting streak this season and currently owns an IL high 26-game on base streak. Derek Rivers Patriots Jersey .35 million, avoiding arbitration. Davis led the majors last season with 53 home runs and 138 RBIs, both career highs. He earned $3.SOELDEN, Austria -- Lara Guts start to the Olympic season couldnt have been more different from the one she had four years ago. Gut convincingly won the season-opening womens World Cup giant slalom Saturday for her fourth career victory -- but first in the discipline -- with a dominant performance that sent a message to her rivals less than four months ahead of the Sochi Olympics. It was a sharp contrast to September 2009, when the Swiss skier dislocated her hip in GS training and missed the entire season -- including the Vancouver Games. "This is sensational," said Gut, who became the first Swiss female to win a GS since Sonja Nef placed first in Santa Caterina, Italy, in January 2003. "Winning the first race of the season is amazing," Gut said. "Its great to have a GS winner in Switzerland again after all these years. ... Ill take it step by step this season and I dont think about Sochi yet." Watched by 11,000 visitors in warm and sunny conditions, Gut led the field by 0.77 after the opening run before finishing in an aggregate 2 minutes, 25.16 seconds. Kathrin Zettel of Austria came 0.84 back in second and Olympic champion Viktoria Rebensburg of Germany took third, 1.28 off the lead. The favourites struggled as overall World Cup champion Tina Maze of Slovenia was 3.05 behind in 18th, and world GS champion Tessa Worley of France trailed Gut by 3.31 in 21st. Four-time overall champion Lindsey Vonn skipped the race and plans to start her season next month after recovering from knee surgery, while American teammate Mikaela Shiffrin, who won the slalom title last season, came 1.62 behind in sixth for her career-best World Cup result in the discipline. "Im really happy, and happy that the race is over, that we have that under our belt," Shiffrin said. "Its cool to see the other girls out here and who has improved. I think today was a pretty good day." Following surgery, Gut struggled to get going again in the technical races after impressing as a 17-year-old rookie in the 2007-08 season. "After my injury it took a lot of time to build up my GS skiing again," Gut said. "It was easier in super-G and downhill. But now I am back to what I can do in GS as well.dddddddddddd" During summer training under new coach Rudi Huber, Gut focused on avoiding mistakes. "The last years I was used to ski fast but I also did a lot of mistakes," she said. "So we practiced skiing clean, and thats what I did today, skiing clean but still pushing it to the limit." Gut said she was surprised by her dominant performance as the conditions didnt really suit her. "There was much distance between the gates and the snow was pretty aggressive," said Gut, who has won two super-Gs and a downhill. "Its not easy to find the right mixture of skiing carefully and attacking. Usually I am not so good at it." Maze started her record-breaking season last year with a convincing win in Soelden but never found her rhythm this time. "She didnt ski," her coach Andrea Massi said. "She didnt get one turn right." Julia Mancuso, the 2006 Olympic champion in the discipline, was another big name struggling. She finished the first run in 31st but was allowed a second run after Emi Hasegawa of Japan was disqualified. "It was just slow," Mancuso said. "The snow was good. I guess for me I wasnt in race mode. Its just a hard race." Former overall champion Maria Hoefl-Riesch lost balance in a right turn early in her opening run and went off course. The German, who finished runner-up to Maze in the overall standings last season, said she didnt want to put much weight on the first race of the season. "I didnt come far but my skiing felt good," Hoefl-Riesch said. "Its better for me to take some risks than hold back and finish two, three seconds off the lead. Ive watched the other girls and I am pretty sure I will be right there with the best in GS this season." According to Hoefl-Riesch, Gut was the only racer who didnt hold back. "As its the first race, many skiers were too cautious. Lara Gut didnt do that, she raced like in training last week," said Hoefl-Riesch, who is yet to win a GS in her career. "I thought (Maze) would be very strong again. Last season she was incredibly dominant. Its good for me to see that she is beatable again." Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
Is the above message: Offensive? Objectionable? Way off track?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Join Property Expert Forum Index -> mortgages and property finance
Page 1 of 1

Go to:  
Advertise with us  |  Privacy  |  Terms & Copyright                                                                                     Website maintained by USP Networks